Good morning Seahawk Nation!
Welcome to the start of the second half of the first semester! Report cards were issued last Friday and your cadet should have brought them home for you to review. If you have not yet seen the report card please ask your cadet for it. Overall, 68% of our cadets earned Honor Roll (3.0% or higher, no failing grade and no more than 1 C) for the first marking period. We will be scheduling time in the near future to hold Academic Review Boards for those cadets who need additional support/assistance and to drill down on where the deficiency resides.
Here is what we have happening at DMA:
- Our Mental Health Awareness club, Resilient Minds, organized a visit from ‘Paws for People’ at DMA before the midterms! The cadets loved seeing the dogs; it was great to de-stress some before taking all their tests! I have never been around a school that loves animals more than DMA! Maybe we should get a dog mascot?
- Our Seniors participated in the College Application Raffle this Friday during lunch and took home some awesome college swag! Cadets earned raffle tickets with each application they submitted and our cadets did an awesome job with over 150 applications completed! Awesome job, Seniors!
- DMA on ABC news! The DMA Color Guard made the news for their participation in Toys for Tots over the weekend! Our Color Guard was captured at the event! BRAVO ZULU!
- Uniform/Grooming standards: Overall, we are doing great! However, we do have some cadets who choose to wear PT gear to school without authorization. Only cadets with medical documentation and approved by our school nurse Mrs. Dolan are authorized to be in PT gear. Cadets arriving in PT gear without the proper documentation will receive disciplinary consequences (including being sent home to change).
- Our Cadet for a Day program is SOLD OUT! We actually are oversubscribed, but that is a great problem to have! Thank you to those who shared the information to current eighth grade students. We are looking forward to an informative and fun-filled morning with prospective new cadets!
- This Thursday is the Annual Veteran’s Day breakfast; A tradition DMA began in 2003. Always nice to take a moment with fellow Veteran’s, thank them for their service and share a story or two of their time in uniform. Thank you to all who volunteer to make this breakfast happen every year.
- It is that time of the year! The Naval Science Department is conducting its annual Poinsettia sale. The poinsettia plants are 14-16 inches high in a 6-inch plant pot with approximately five plus blooms per plant. The plants come in three different colors red, white or pink at the cost of $10.00 per plant. In the case of unavailability of a particular color, red will be substituted for the requested color. Cadets must turn in order sheets and payment no later than 17 November 2022. If payment is in the form of a check, please make the check payable to Delaware Military Academy. All plants will be ready for pickup on December 9, 2022 from 2:45 pm – 6:00 pm in the DMA Mess Hall. Any questions should be directed to your cadet’s Naval Science Instructor.
- Honor Roll Certificates: If your cadet made Honor Roll during the 4th marking period of last school year or the 1st marking period of this school year and would like a certificate to honor the achievement, please complete the link below (no cost). Certificates will only be printed for cadets who place an order. Please email Mrs. Tocyloski with any questions.
- AP/Dual Enrollment Courses: Cadets who are taking an AP or Dual enrollment course this school year (and haven’t submitted any payments yet) need to check their DMA email account for an important email from Mrs. Tocyloski. Please complete the survey included in the email.
- From our Yearbook Staff: Now is a great time to order a 2023 Porthole. With the holidays right around the corner, it is the perfect way to capture all the year’s memories in one place while the book is still at its low price. Head to yearbookordercenter.com and enter our school order #16925 to follow the prompts to get your book now. With all the special events for our 20 year celebration, this is a year you won’t want to miss.
- Sports Report: Bravo Zulu to our fall athletes who had a combined a 3.495 GPA for the first marking period!
- Congratulations to the Soccer Team who earned the 6th seed in the DIAA State Tournament. The team will host Sussex Academy tomorrow Tuesday, November 8th at 5:00 PM.
- Congratulations to the Volleyball team who defeated Dickinson HS 3-0 in the 1st round of the playoffs before losing 3-0 to the number one seed Smyrna. Great season girls!
- Congratulations to the Field Hockey team who earned the 4th seed in the DIAA State Tournament. The team will host the winner of Wilmington Friends vs. Tower Hill on Saturday, November 12th at 2:00 PM.
- Congratulations to the Football team who defeated Concord HS 13-12 in 2OT.
- Congratulations to the Boys Cross Country team who finished 3rd at the New Castle County Championship. DMA finished as the highest D2 team.
- Good luck to all of our winter sports athletes starting the season today!
We hope you have a great week. As always, anything we can assist with please do not hesitate to reach out!